We are all guilty of being too lax at the crosswalk. This is not a new problem but the advent of texting and driverless cars, crosswalks and intersections are more dangerous than ever.
Drivers and pedestrian especially have to be less complacent and step up their game. We need a campaign like the old “Cross at The Green not in Between” campaign.
PEOPLE ARE TEXTING AS THEY WALK – PEOPLE ARE TEXTING AS THEY DRIVE
The presence of a crosswalk isn’t enough to ensure a pedestrian’s safety on the road. Many choose to jaywalk and avoid using designated crosswalks, while others use the crosswalk incorrectly or fail to comply by the provided traffic signals. That’s why it’s not just important for there to be a crosswalk in place, but that the pedestrians using it are mindful of crosswalk safety precautions.
JUST BECAUSE THE LIGHT IS GREEN DOESN’T MEAN THE CAR IS GOING TO STOP
We’re all busy and in a hurry but take a minute and try to make eye contact with the driver. Make sure he sees you and knows you’re there. Make sure the car is not moving. Your green light has no power to stop the car. As you cross look down the street to see if any vehicle is approaching and if it’s not slowing down. Be ready to act to avoid getting struck.
1. Don’t focus on the traffic light across the street. It has no magic power to protect you.
2. Wait a second; don’t jump into the street because the light changed. LOOK
3. Wait till the vehicles have completely stopped. Don’t start to cross while they are approaching.
4. Try to make eye contact with the driver. Make sure he/she sees you.
5. Keep your eyes on the road to check if there is any vehicle headed your way.